Danilo, There are two points that I want you to consider before I attempt to
answer your question:1. In terms of capabilities:Voidoo has the capability to
detect specific voids or all voids inside a bio-macromolecular complex, as well
as certain cavities that are connected to the "outside world". It delineates
these cavities, meaning that it finds  their extent in 3-dimensional space.
Secondly, it measures the molecular volumes as well as the volume of the cavity
itself. Finally, it has the capability to generate molecular surface plot files
which enable the visualization of the cavities. Voidoo will detect voids and
invaginations, but it cannot pick pockets, no pun intended :)2. In terms of
measuring and displaying cavities, there are three particular modes:a.
Vanderwaals cavity, where the cavity comprises the compliment of the
Vanderwaals surface of the surrounding atoms.b. Probe-accessible cavity, where
the cavity comprises all of the space that can be accessed by the center of the
probe sphere.c. Probe-occupied cavity, where the cavity comprises all of the
space that can be occupied by the probeNow to answer your question:The first
step of the cavity detection algorithm is to map the target molecule onto a
3-dimensional grid with a spacing (0.5 - 1 Angstrom). All of the grid points
are initially assigned a value of zero. Every subsequent point of the grid
whose distance to the nearest atom is less than the sum of the van der Waals
radius of that atom and the probe radius, is assigned a value of 1. In order to
exclude the outside world, all of the grid points on the faces of the grid are
set to zero, and the outside world is "zapped".This method is also known as the
"flood fill" algorithm. At the final stage, all grid points are inside a closed
cavity and have a value of zero. Voidoo then checks if the cavity has been
detected and will delineate the cavity to measure the volume. Then the process
of "atomic flattening" is invoked, which entails multiplying the van der Waals
radii of all atoms by a certain flattening factor. The program then goes
through iterative rounds of atomic flattening to close off cavities which are
in contact with the outside world, and separate cavities which are in contact
with each other through small channels. The program will stop after the
particular sought after cavity has been found. A detailed answer to your
question can be found in the original resource that I sent in my first
response:http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/1994/02/00/gr0263/gr0263.pdfI hope
this helps!lorenzoLorenzo Ihsan FInci, Ph.D.Postdoctoral Scientist, Wang
LaboratoryHarvard Medical SchoolDana-Farber Cancer InstituteBoston, MA Peking
UniversityThe College of Life SciencesBeijing, China