An astronomer, a physicist and a mathematician are on a train in
Scotland. The astronomer looks out of the window, sees a black sheep
standing in a field, and remarks, "How odd. Scottish sheep are black."
"No, no, no!" says the physicist. "Only some Scottish sheep are
black." The mathematician rolls his eyes at his companions' muddled
thinking and says, "In Scotland, there is one sheep, one side of which
appears to be black from here."
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_joke, corrected
because "at least one" and "one" are semantically equivalent for
mathematicians)

Only because none of the people not liking Python bother pointing that
out (it's probably not very helpful a comment here), you cannot
conclude that "Seems everybody loves it..." - that's poor scientific
concluding ;-)

Cheers,
Tim

On 09/12/2012 06:52 PM, Jacob Keller wrote:

>> For the specific purpose you list - input from tab-delimited
>> data output to simple statisitical summaries and (I assume)
>> plots - it sounds like gnuplot could do the job nicely.
>>

> I wasn't aware that gnuplot can do calculations--can it? I was
> probably going to use it somewhere as a plotting option.
>

>> Otherwise I'd recommend perl, and dis-recommend python.
>

> Why are you dis-ing python? Seems everybody loves it...
>
> JPK
>

>> Ethan
>>

>> -- Ethan A Merritt Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health
>> Sciences Bldg University of Washington, Seattle 98195-7742

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie