Like most computer users and many scientists I don't write scripts to
organize or analyse my data unless I get desperate.  I've used both Python
and Perl a few years ago, but it would take quite a lot of time and effort
and staring at on-line tutorials to get back into either of them right now.
 So I end up using massive Excel files that kind of work, but are a pain.
 I've noticed that quite a few structural biologists have the same problem.

I've never understood why there can't be a simple programming language that
is completely self-explanatory bercause it uses English sentences.  Our
robot scripting language uses syntax like

Dispense 0.5 * DropVol ul to TargetWells using ProteinSyringe

That is pretty obvious.

So why can't I have a language where I can write

Carry_out_a_sequence_where

x is 1 to 10

with_step_size 1 :

if
age of person(x) is_greater_than 50
then
print name of person(x) "is an old man (or woman)" .

Repeat_for_next x .

?

I don't care if it's efficient (anything is efficient compared to Excel) or
if it's easy to write big programs in.  All I care about is that it's easy
to get going.

Later on I can learn to write simply "Sequence" instead of
"Carry_out_a_sequence_where".  I could click a button that would make the
replacement to make my code more compact and readable to a trained eye.
 And of course  is_greater_than  could be written as  > .

Any intelligent school-child could understand it too, which would be
fantastic here in the UK where kids aren't taught to program any more.

Does such a language exist?

--
 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36