Dear Yuri,

Why do you think you need 36 reflections per atom when atoms with anisotropic
B-factors only have 9 parameters? You can get away with much fewer in many
cases especially if you have good restraints. As Ethan points out, a drop in
R-free after adding many parameters may be misleading. Proper testing will give
you a clearer example.

The Hamilton test in Ethan's paper is implemented in PDB_REDO
(http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?ba5174) and I had a quick look at some
refinement statistics for structures with ~21 reflections/atom (like your
case):  according to PDB_REDO's strict criteria anisotropic B-factors are
acceptable in two thirds of the cases. This was tested with Refmac on 285 PDB
entries; ShelX's new restraints may well increase the success rate.

HTH,
Robbie Joosten

Netherlands Cancer Institute
www.cmbi.ru.nl/pdb_redo