Yuri,
  I would try to preserve as much of the crystal to use it to seed. I
have first hand knowledge of at least three projects that had a
haphazardly grown crystal being crucial as a seeding source for the
completion of the project.
  So, option I) (and option safe, and what I would do if there is no
indication of "being scooped") use your crystal for streak seeding
experiments without testing it in the beam. Establish conditions you can
reproducibly get crystals at and go from there. Option II) mount your
crystal in a capillary or mitegen to see if it diffracts. Then continue
with plan I); this will tell you if the condition is worth pursuing --
that is, if you trust your capillary mounting skills. III) put into your
protectant of preference (mine is PFPO), and reharvest after freezing
for seeding. You might get lucky (PFPO has slightly more than 50% chance
of success in my experience), but chances of getting a good seed stock
are lower.
  In short, seeding is your safest "blind" bet, RT is your safest
overall bet.

HTH

Jens