Hi Edward

I agree with you that this can't be right.  First, the rotation function
should allow 2 different cells: in fact that's how it's normally run: the
model from the known structure is placed in a large unit cell that is
unrelated to the unit cell of the unknown structure (in order to avoid
self-vectors).  Second, if the unit cells are different then ALMN certainly
shouldn't make them equal!

Looking at the code the warning message that you reported actually comes
from s/r RBFRO1 in the RWBROOK library that is normally used for reading &
writing PDB files: however in the case of ALMN there are no PDB files, just
2 MTZ files!  RBFRO1 is just being used to compute the orthogonalisation
matrices for each MTZ file.  Unfortunately in RBFRO1 there's also a
potentially nasty side effect: if it's given 2 unit cells in separate calls
it makes the 2nd one equal to the 1st!  This is probably designed for the
situation where you want to read multiple PDB files and you want them all
in the same unit cell.

I suspect what's happened is that RBFRO1 has been changed to check for
multiple cells since ALMN was last updated, but the wider consequences of
the change weren't realised.  I have always campaigned to have the names of
library subroutines changed whenever the external functional effects of the
s/r call change.  That explains e.g. why we have MSYMLB, MSYMLB1, MSYMLB2 &
MSYMLB3 all superficially doing the same thing but in fact they are subtly
different in function (or at least we used to have 4 versions, it seems we
have only the #2 & #3 versions now - I trust no-one's programs are still
using the now unsupported versions!).  So the functionally changed version
of RBFRO1 should have been called e.g. RBFRO2.  This would have meant that
the changes to the library routines would not affect existing programs like
ALMN (and more particularly my own programs!).  I think the library
maintainers don't always appreciate that these library routines are used by
many 'jiffy' programs that never get submitted to CCP4 - it's not just the
programs in the CCP4 distribution that are potentially affected by this!

I think there's an easy and harmless way to fix this in the ALMN code:
RWBROOK has an initialisation call XYZINIT which resets the COMMON
blocks,so if this is called before RBFRO1 it won't try to make the cells
equal.

Cheers

-- Ian