In terms of information density clay, paper and suchlike are not likely to
be competitive with any modern storage device. However, if there really is
a serious need to store relatively large amounts of information for a
really long time I see no issues with laser (or afm) engraving on thin gold
layers,deposited on top of e.g. fused sio2 and then counter-deposited or
sandwiched between layers of some equally tough subtance e.g. the same
fused silica or sapphire, etc. The assembly is mechanically stable,
oxidation is not an issue and provided that gold feature size is kept
reasonably large (say 50 microns per pixel) I estimate the practical read
limit (noncontact optical readout) to be in the hundreds of thousands of
years as long as the assembly is protected from air convection and weather
by a suitable enclosure e.g. a modest size mountain. Best of all,
information can be stored as words and imagess readout is simple and
requires nothing more than the language to be still there at read time.

As we evolve towards becoming telepathic quasicorporeal space mushrooms
this may become an issue.

Alternatively, given that there is no apparent issue with transmitting
information across time (not a time machine but a backwards looking time
telescope) all of this is unnecessary since we will be able to simply look
back in time and see what we need to see. This technology naturally is
immediately and profitably abused for nepharious/amusing/creepy purposes.
Luckily, as a space mushroom I will have no interest in private momets of
Queen Elizabeth's life, no matter how amusing they might be.

-artem