The idea is (whether it's valid or not) to apply the information from
both sites simultaneously. If the density is pretty ambiguous and one side
tends to drift off into an alternate conformation and the other drifts off
into another conformation, but you have every reason to believe that
the conformation is the same on both sides, applying NCS allows you to
refine a single conformation that is consistent with both.

More generally, is there any reason to not? I suppose ligands
may be more likely than amino acids to violate NCS, but good
practices would say examine each residue for violations.

You could say, why enforce NCS on the 27'th residue of each chain, since
their contribution to the number of parameters is small.
(mind you,there may be good reasons to not constrain ligands
that I m not aware of, if so I hope someone speak up)

eab

Boaz Shaanan wrote:
Just a naive question: why apply NCS to ligands at all? Their contribution to
the number of parameters and hence to the param/obs ratio, the main argument
for applying NCS, is negligible, isn't it?

  Boaz

Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D.
Dept. of Life Sciences
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Beer-Sheva 84105
Israel

E-mail: bshaa...@bgu.ac.il
Phone: 972-8-647-2220  Skype: boaz.shaanan
Fax:   972-8-647-2992 or 972-8-646-1710