I don't think that anybody has shown a significant performance difference on Apple memory vs a reasonable 3rd party supplier. Apple may potentially have better quality controls but places like Crucial essentially have lifetime warranties on their memory. I use Crucial at home and at work.

I'd echo Nat's suggestion of going 3rd party for the memory and putting in as much as you can afford.

(Modern Mac Minis and even my 13" Macbook Pro outperform my older octacore tower on a per-core basis. They're quite capable machines.)

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton