Ethan,
  The last time I attempted similar things, I had to run rotaprep to
convince scala of using most things that did not come directly out of
mosflm, but that was before the pointless days.
  As the reflections are already scaled in P1, I would consider it safe
to rely on the Pointless Rmerge -- but that's just a guess (and you
can't do much with the data downstream). I would assume sftools might be
able to merge the reindexed file output by pointless.
   Nevertheless, if I were faced with the same problem nowadays, I would
convert to a shelx hkl file and use xprep for the merging and statistics
-- that's "painless".

Cheers,

Jens