Hi Jacob,

Interesting topic.

This reminds me the posters I saw on ACA 2010, on the femto-second infrared
laser based instrument . That instrument utilizes the nonlinear optical
properties of  crystals of chiral molecules to detect very small crystalline
materials from amorphous background: the crystals will double the frequency of
the laser, turning the infrared light to visible light. I cannot recall the
exact name of the technology now, unfortunately.

Your case of observing in vivo GFP crystals is a little special in that the
crystals are fluorescent. I guess if we scan cells over-expressing proteins
with the above mentioned instrument, we might find that many proteins will do
the same in cells.

Naturally occurring in vivo crystals are not very rare. If we do not restrict
the topic to proteins, then it is well known that many viruses readily
crystallize in the host cell's nuclei and the resulting crystals or crystalline
arrays can be observed under EM. And if we do not restrict the cells to
mammalian cells, then there come the famous BT crystals.

In addition, I just did some internet search and here are some interesting
results:

1) Viral protein crystals can form in HEK cells infected by adenovirus
(http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0002894)
2) Bacterial infection can cause the infected epithelial cells to form
pathological crystal-containing inclusion bodies in the cytosol
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8940763).
3) Crystalline inclusion bodies are found in rabbit embryos
(http://dev.biologists.org/content/44/1/31.full.pdf) and epididymis of the
nine-banded
armadillo(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022532073800073).
Actually if google "crystalline inclusion body", there will be tons of
literatures.
4) IgG crystallized in the ER when over expressed from a highly optimized CHO
expression system (http://www.jbc.org/content/286/22/19917.abstract). This is
particularly interesting as we know that whole IgGs are not so prone to
crystallize, although the author do state that "Crystallizing propensity was
due to the intrinsic physicochemical properties of the model IgG".

Given the prevalence of in vivo crystallization, especially considering their
correlation with inclusion bodies, I think it is reasonable to suspect that
there are some cases that the inclusion bodies formed during over expression of
transgenic proteins in E. coli are crystalline. I expect that we will be
enlightened on this issue by somebody on the BB soon.

Zhijie