Hi Xianchi,

First of all: a very slow dissociation rate can also be an artifact: the
analyte can be simply precipitating on the surface. You do need to rule this
out by proper controls.

But there is no rule saying that 10e-6 s-1 off rate is not realistic. Even with
protein-small molecule binding, one can get extremely slow dissociation if the
interaction is very strong. For example, the dissociation of biotin from
streptavidin has a rate constant of the 10e-6 s(-1) order. A very slow
dissociation rate is often (if not always) correlated with very tight binding
(for example KD in picomolar range or even smaller). What is your calculated
KD? The binding phase of the BIAcore curves should also reflect the fact that
the off rate is low (the Kon-obs has an off rate term).

We have measured some pico molar bindings with BIAcore in the past. It is
doable, but difficult. You may also want to consider in-solution methods (so
that you do not need to worry about artifacts caused by the surface), such as
ITC (by competition method), or fluorescence-based methods.

For BIAcore, when working with very strong bindings (KD <100pM), there are a
few things to consider:
1) You may find great difficulties regenerating the chip - probably the biggest
concern with BIAcore (considering the ridiculous price of chips).
2) How much RU should you conjugate to the chip? With strong interactions, as
low as possible amount of your ligand should be labeled on the chip, for 4
purposes: a) to make regeneration easier; b) to reduce rebinding effect; c) to
reduce mass transfer effect; d) to make sure you do not take away significant
amount of analyte from the solution (discussed in 3)).
3) If you plan to span the KD range with the analyte, then if the KD is in
picomolar molar range, you are supplying the surface with extremely dilute
analyte solutions. In such case, you need to calculate if your flow rate is
high enough, to compensate the loss of solute due to binding to surface,
otherwise the real concentration of the analyte in the mobile phase will be
much lower than the assumed analyte concentration.
4) The association phase of the BIAcore experiment is also affected by the
dissociation rate.  The observed binding rate Kon-obs contains a Koff term.
When you are loading the analyte at near KD concentrations, the binding will
take similar amount of time as the dissociation phase to reach plateau. The
Kon-obs also contains a concentration terml, so the time required for reaching
plateau will be shorter and shorter when you load with higher concentrations of
the analytes.
5) The only proper way of labeling chip for slow dissociations is by covalent
means.

HTH,

Zhijie