Dear Colleagues,
The paper
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0108768185002233
in work led by Howard Einspahr undertaken at SRS 7.2 is a protein structural
specific result from synchrotron radiation.
The MAD method of course yielded totally specific to SR protein crystal
structures. The conceptualisation goes further back than Herzenberg and Lau
namely to Okaya and Pepinsky 1956.
The seleno met approach of Wayne Hendrickson I believe was however the major
breakthrough.
Best wishes,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol.
Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html