Tom,

Welcome to the protein crystallography community. I hope you take all the teasing in good humor. And a few protocol lessons about sharing data, etc. By now you have discovered that structure factor files and a possible MR model are like catnip to structural biologists. I learned this when I solved my first structure while on a sabbatical leave. I ask one question about a tricky (to me) MR solution, share the structure factors with ONE postdoc, and the next thing I know the whole building is solving my structure. (Cover ears and go La La La La La.) You have taken this to a whole new level! :)

To echo the advice of many others, nothing beats actually looking at the solution with a critical eye:

1. is there sensible electron density around the model? (You may want
   to modify the model to poly-Ala or truncate to the nearest similar
   residue--you can do this using CCP4 programs.) If sequence identity
   is really poor a poly-Ala search model may be better. Once you get a
   preliminary solution, I've used Parrot and Buccaneer successfully to
   autobuild most of the structure from a relatively poor starting
   model. But there is nothing wrong with manual rebuilding from a good
   starting point with high homology.
2. Does the solution pack well, with definable solvent channels and
   reasonable protein-protein contacts? (Use symexp in Pymol or turn on
   symmetry molecules in Coot) Sometimes it is easy to discover a
   missing or "extra" molecule in the ASU this way. That's what
   happened with my first structure solution--I thought I had 4 chains
   in the ASU and it was really 6, which was quite obvious from the
   packing of my partial (as it turned out) MR solution. An extra two
   chains fit perfectly in the "hole" in the packing view.
3. Don't forget to do a quick Matthews coefficient calculation before
   MR to get some idea of how many molecules are in the ASU. It's not
   perfect, especially for high copy numbers, but it's a start. It's
   normally easy to tell 1 from 2 molecules in the ASU. Not so much 6
   vs. 8.
4. It's not unusual for raw MR solutions to start at R>40%. But if you
   are on the right track, the initial refinement in Refmac should
   drive that down to 30% or lower pretty quickly. If R doesn't drop
   rapidly, you likely have an issue with the MR solution. Be aware
   that in the latest versions of Refmac, that first refinement may
   take as many as 20 cycles to converge, not the default 10 cycles.
   After that, 20 cycles is usually overkill.

Have fun, and solve your protein structure.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor