At AstraZeneca, we're constantly striving to make new discoveries.
Discoveries that will make a meaningful difference to health globally.
We already have an exceptional product pipeline, and everyone here has a
part to play in making sure that pipeline fulfills its potential.  This
is your opportunity to join them - and to fulfill your own.

We have an exciting opportunity for a biochemist / biophysicist /
crystallographer to join the Structure & Biophysics group at AstraZeneca
in Waltham, MA.  This is a collaborative effort with the laboratory of
Professor Jamie Cate at the University of California Berkeley to
understand the structural basis of mechanism-based toxicity to
antibiotic treatment.  Success in generating chimeric ribosomes will
result in novel means to assess antibacterial sensitivity using a suite
of genetic, biochemical and biophysical approaches.

This position provides an opportunity to explore the gene-to-structure
process in an industrial setting.  You'll be exposed to a variety of
aspects within the drug discovery cascade, and will interact with
scientists in a cross-disciplinary environment.  You'll also be expected
to deliver your novel research results within AstraZeneca, and
externally via scientific conferences and peer-reviewed publications.

* Build an understanding of antibiotic selectivity for the bacterial
ribosome through the design and analysis of the functional activity of
chimeric ribosomes
* Assess the antibacterial sensitivity of recombinant bacterial strains
containing chimeric ribosomes against a panel of known ribosomal
inhibitors

* Understand the structural basis of ribosomal inhibitor selectivity by
performing crystallography on chimeric ribosomes in complex with
antibiotics

* Work collaboratively with scientists across various disciplines to
achieve project objectives

* Externally present results at scientific conferences, and publish
scientific papers in high quality peer-reviewed journals

A PhD in one or more of the following areas:
* Protein/RNA biochemistry

* Biophysics, crystallography, ribosome biology, molecular microbiology

* Molecular biology, expression and purification skills to independently
produce high-quality RNA-protein complexes
* Experience with multiple biochemical and biophysical techniques to
assess the quality, stability and function of RNA-protein complexes
* Experience in performing antibacterial sensitivity assays
* Experience in designing complex reagents for biophysical and
crystallographic studies
* Crystallographic experience is highly desirable
* Strong written and oral communication skills

As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, our business is
focused on providing innovative, effective medicines that make a real
difference in important areas of healthcare. What's more, we support and
encourage our people in discovering their own potential. Excellent
learning and development opportunities will be available to you
throughout your career here.

Please follow this link to view the full advertisement and online
application:

http://jobs.astrazeneca.com/jobs/23176-postdoctoral-position-synthetic-b
iology-to-probe-ribosomal-inhibitor-selectivity

Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential
and proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please
notify us and remove it from your system and note that you must not copy,
distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorized use or
disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.