With information you've provided I have multiple suggestions for you, some
of which you may have already tried:

1.   OMPs can be fairly particular about which detergents they will
crystallize in.  Try exchanging the protein into a different
detergent/detergent mixture and then set up new trays in your favorite
broad matrix screens.  DDM, DM, LDAO, OG, and C8E4 are a few of my
favorites for OMPs, but there are many others.  This can be done using a
size exclusion column as the final purification step for your protein where
the column is equilibrated with the appropriate detergent.  This step will
also let you know how well behaved the protein is in that detergent via the
shape/height of the peak.  This won't help you optimize your current
condition, but it may lead to different/new conditions with even better
crystals.  As Pascal suggested, try to carefully choose which MW cut-off
concentrator you end up using.  Minimizing the amount of detergent
concentration that occurs during your concentration step(s) is optimal.

2.  Attempt crystallization using DHCP/CHAPSO bicelles.  You can buy them
pre-made from MemX Biosciences or make them yourself using a published
protocol from David Bowie's lab.  These have been used to crystallize the
mitochondrial beta barrel protein VDAC and I had success crystallizing
intimin in them.  David Bowie also has a JoVE article on the bicelle
crystallization method.

3.  Attempt crystallization using Lipidic Cubic Phases.  This was the
saving grace for my post-doc project.  Neither detergent nor bicelle
crystallization produced crystals that were of sufficient quality, but the
crystals from LCP all diffracted to the 2.0 angstrom resolution range.  If
you're unfamiliar with the technique, there are several nice videos on JoVE
describing it by Vadim Cherezov and Martin Caffrey.

4.  Alter your construct.  Small changes in the construct (ie: deletion or
addition of 1-2 residues on the N- or C-terminus) often led to drastically
different crystallization behavior of several OMPs in my hands.

Cheers, Jim

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM, RHYS GRINTER <r.grinte...@research.gla.ac.uk

--
Jim Fairman, Ph D.