It's not about multiplicity, it's about scaling. See quote I sent earlier. phx.

On 14/05/2013 10:40, Felix Frolow wrote:
I guess that in a standpoint to reduce errors it is easy to improve statistical errors by longer counting or by using multiple observations. However the real enemy at the gate is a systematic error which require special skills and experience to detect and to eliminate. I never understood why to measure not very good data trying to recover anomalous signal by improving statistics using very high redundancy instead of trying to collect data which are perfect by minimising systematics errors and of course increasing counting time, but with minimum redundancy of only 2 ? Like in good old times with 4 circle diffractometers and good scintillation counters that produced true counting statistics:
10 counts - 30% precision
100 counts - 10% precision
1000 counts - 3% precision
10000 counts - 1% precision
Canonising and worshipping redundancy looking for "true holy multiplicity" on my taste is counterproductiveā€¦..
My 2 NIS   :-)
And of corse - one of the systematic errors is the radiation damageā€¦...
FF

Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor

e-mail: mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il <mailto:mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il>
Tel:  ++972-3640-8723