We know that our scaling models do not completely describe and compensate for
all systematic errors, for various reasons including radiation damage (which is
hard to model). This can be seen by scaling together data collected about
different axes, where typically the merging statistics between different sweeps
are worse than those within a sweep. Nevertheless, we would expect that
averaging the somewhat disparate data should produce a more accurate estimate
of the true intensity, provided that the underlying true intensities are really
the same (isomorphism): merging statistics measure precision (internal
agreement) rather than accuracy.

For measurement of anomalous differences, we should aim to measure the Bijvoet
reflection pairs in as similar way as possible so that they are likely to have
the same uncorrected systematic errors, most importantly to collect them close
together in time, to minimise differences in radiation damage. However it is
clearly also true that high multiplicity is extremely valuable, indeed
essential for S-SAD, presumably just to average out errors, both random and
systematic. Scala has an option to use matched pairs for estimation of
anomalous differences (ANOMALOUS MATCH) but all the tests I've done using this
option gave worse results than just merging everything. For this reason I
haven't implemented the option in Aimless.

Phil