If you are refining against F's you have to find some way to avoid
calculating the square root of a negative number.  That is why people
have historically rejected negative I's and why Truncate and cTruncate
were invented.

   When refining against I, the calculation of (Iobs - Icalc)^2 couldn't
care less if Iobs happens to be negative.

   As for why people still refine against F...  When I was distributing
a refinement package it could refine against I but no one wanted to do
that.  The "R values" ended up higher, but they were looking at R
values calculated from F's.  Of course the F based R values are lower
when you refine against F's, that means nothing.

   If we could get the PDB to report both the F and I based R values
for all models maybe we could get a start toward moving to intensity
refinement.

Dale Tronrud