On 21 June 2013 17:10, Douglas Theobald <dtheob...@brandeis.edu> wrote:

> Yes there is.  The only way you can get a negative estimate is to make
> unphysical assumptions.  Namely, the estimate Ispot-Iback=Iobs assumes that
> both the true value of I and the background noise come from a Gaussian
> distribution that is allowed to have negative values.  Both of those
> assumptions are unphysical.

Actually that's not correct: Ispot and Iback are both assumed to come from
a _Poisson_ distribution which by definition is zero for negative values of
its argument (you can't have a negative number of photons), so are _not_
allowed to have negative values.  For large values of the argument (in fact
the approximation is pretty good even for x ~ 10) a Poisson approximates to
a Gaussian, and then of course the difference Ispot-Iback is also
approximately Gaussian.

But I think that doesn't affect your argument.

Cheers

-- Ian