On Jun 21, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Ed Pozharski <epozh...@umaryland.edu> wrote:

> Douglas,
>>> Observed intensities are the best estimates that we can come up with in an
>>> experiment.
>> I also agree with this, and this is the clincher.  You are arguing that
>> Ispot-Iback=Iobs is the best estimate we can come up with.  I claim that is
>> absurd.  How are you quantifying "best"?  Usually we have some sort of
>> discrepancy measure between true and estimate, like RMSD, mean absolute
>> distance, log distance, or somesuch.  Here is the important point --- by any
>> measure of discrepancy you care to use, the person who estimates Iobs as 0
>> when Iback>Ispot will *always*, in *every case*, beat the person who
>> estimates Iobs with a negative value.   This is an indisputable fact.
>
> First off, you may find it useful to avoid such words as absurd and
> indisputable fact.  I know political correctness may be sometimes overrated,
> but if you actually plan to have meaningful discussion, let's assume that
> everyone responding to your posts is just trying to help figure this out.

I apologize for offending and using the strong words --- my intention was not
to offend.  This is just how I talk when brainstorming with my colleagues
around a blackboard, but of course then you can see that I smile when I say it.

> To address your point, you are right that J=0 is closer to "true intensity"
> then a negative value.  The problem is that we are not after a single
> intensity, but rather all of them, as they all contribute to electron density
> reconstruction.  If you replace negative Iobs with E(J), you would
> systematically inflate the averages, which may turn problematic in some
> cases.

So, I get the point.  But even then, using any reasonable criterion, the whole
estimated dataset will be closer to the true data if you set all "negative"
intensity estimates to 0.

> It is probably better to stick with "raw intensities" and construct
> theoretical predictions properly to account for their properties.
>
> What I was trying to tell you is that observed intensities is what we get
> from experiment.

But they are not what you get from the detector.  The detector spits out a
positive value for what's inside the spot.  It is we, as human agents, who
later manipulate and massage that data value by subtracting the background
estimate.  A value that has been subjected to a crude background subtraction is
not the raw experimental value.  It has been modified, and there must be some
logic to why we massage the data in that particular manner.  I agree, of
course, that the background should be accounted for somehow.  But why just
subtract it away?  There are other ways to massage the data --- see my other
post to Ian.  My argument is that however we massage the experimentally
observed value should be physically informed, and allowing negative intensity
estimates violates the basic physics.

[snip]

>>> These observed intensities can be negative because while their true
>>> underlying value is positive, random errorsmay result in Iback>Ispot.
>>> There is absolutely nothing unphysical here.
>> Yes there is.  The only way you can get a negative estimate is to make
>> unphysical assumptions.  Namely, the estimate Ispot-Iback=Iobs assumes that
>> both the true value of I and the background noise come from a Gaussian
>> distribution that is allowed to have negative values.  Both of those
>> assumptions are unphysical.
>
> See, I have a problem with this.  Both common sense and laws of physics
> dictate that number of photons hitting spot on a detector is a positive
> number.  There is no law of physics that dictates that under no circumstances
> there could be Ispot<Iback.

That's not what I'm saying.  Sure, Ispot can be less than Iback randomly.  That
does not mean we have to estimate the detected intensity as negative, after
accounting for background.