Hello Peter,

have you tried removing a few residues involved and (after a round of
refinement) rebuild the area from scratch (a simple way to remove
model bias)?
How did you decide about the resolution cut-off of your data sets -
could it be that there is noise and that it might be worth cutting a
little more during integration? Although I agree the difference map
seems to have systematic features that do not quite support this
suggestion.

A side note: you are most likely not looking at 2Fo-Fc and Fo-Fc maps,
but a sigma-A weighted maps and sigma-A weighted difference maps. I
think it is worth differentiating between these terms.

Second note: thumbs up for the small size of your attachments. I think
this is a good compromise between something quite impossible to
describe and people who do not like large attachments.

Regards,
Tim

On 06/24/2013 06:57 AM, Peter Randolph wrote:
> Short version: Hi, I'm working on what should be a straightforward
> molecular replacement problem (already solved protein in new space
> group), but my Fo-Fc map contains a peculiar series of alternating
> positive and negative peaks of difference density. I'm wondering if
> anyone has anyone seen this before? Sample images are attached and
> more background is below.
>
> More background: I had initially solved an *apo* structure of my
> protein (from previous diffraction data in another crystal form),
> and more recently collected diffraction data for crystals of the
> protein co-crystallized with potential binding partners (small
> RNAs). All the datasets I've processed so far have the same
> spacegroup (P2(1)2(1)2(1)) and cell dimensions as the apo
> structure.
>
> I have tried two general approaches, both with the same initial
> steps of indexing / integrating / scaling in XDS, converting to MTZ
> format without R-free flags, then importing R-free-flags from the
> (previous) apo structure's MTZ.  I would then run "phenix.refine"
> for initial rigid-body refinement using the apo-model and the new
> mtz to see if there were signs of any new positive density
> corresponding to bound ligands. While the 2Fo-Fc map fits the apo
> protein 3D model perfectly, the Fo-Fc map shows bands of
> alternating positive and negative density running throughout the
> structure.  What's odd is that these 'bands' appear to be
> systematic rather than random (please see attached image), and
> aren't located anywhere that a binding partner could bind, leading
> me to suspect they may be artefactual (these bands actually run
> through the body of the protein, so one possibility is that the
> b-strands are off-register by a multiple of a peptide unit?). If I
> use the same mtz file and structural model, and instead do
> molecular replacement with phaser, I see the same issue.  I've
> tried this workflow with a couple of datasets and using P222 as
> well as P2(1)2(1)2(1), and each time I see the same issue of
> spurious(?) bands. Any help or advice would be much appreciated,
> especially if anyone has seen anything like this?
>
> Thanks a lot, Peter Randolph

- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie