Hi Peter,

my estimate of the distance between the peaks would be based on bond distances
and about twice that of Dale, but I agree with his general conclusion. Either a
reflection (roughly in the h 0 0 direction) is stronger than it should be
(ice?), or a very strong reflection was considered as outlier and removed (in
the CORRECT step).
I would try two things:
a) to confirm the general conclusion, I would compare the "filled"
(electron_density_maps.map_coefficients.fill_missing_fobs=True) and the default
"non-filled" maps from phenix.refine. The "filled" maps should show the problem
much less. (Caveat: I have not tried this)
b) inspect the outliers in XDS_ASCII.HKL  with something like
sort -nk5 XDS_ASCII.HKL | more
looking for observations which have negative sigma (i.e. are outliers) _and_
have high intensity _and_ have |h| >> |k| _and_ |h| >>|l| . If you find any, I
would simply remove the negative sign with an editor, save the modified
XDS_ASCII.HKL and re-run XDSCONV, finally obtaining a MTZ file that includes
this reflection.

HTH,

Kay