Dear BBers,

Sorry for the non-ccp4 post.

I'd like to hear tips and suggestions from the membrane protein folks in
the community.

I am currently purifying two different membrane proteins expressed in E.
coli. While I am able to extract practically all of my first protein from
the cell membrane into buffer containing 1% DDM in 1hr at 4C, it doesn't
seem as though that works very well for my second protein. I understand
every protein is a unique beast; I am just trying to increase the yields
for my second protein as much as possible.

For my second protein, I have tried solubilizing for 1hr at 4C in 1% DDM as
well as in 1-2% NM for 1hr at 4C but am only able to solubilize about half
of total protein in the membrane. Have folks seen substantial increase in %
solubility with longer incubations with detergent? Or should I consider the
issue that the fraction that doesn't solubilize may be misfolded, just cut
my losses and grow tons more bacterial cultures.

Many thanks for sharing your successes and heartaches on this matter!
Raji

--
Raji Edayathumangalam
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School