From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Raji
Edayathumangalam [r...@brandeis.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:23 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Detergent solubilization step (membrane proteins)

Dear BBers,

Sorry for the non-ccp4 post.

I'd like to hear tips and suggestions from the membrane protein folks in the
community.

I am currently purifying two different membrane proteins expressed in E. coli.
While I am able to extract practically all of my first protein from the cell
membrane into buffer containing 1% DDM in 1hr at 4C, it doesn't seem as though
that works very well for my second protein. I understand every protein is a
unique beast; I am just trying to increase the yields for my second protein as
much as possible.

For my second protein, I have tried solubilizing for 1hr at 4C in 1% DDM as
well as in 1-2% NM for 1hr at 4C but am only able to solubilize about half of
total protein in the membrane. Have folks seen substantial increase in %
solubility with longer incubations with detergent? Or should I consider the
issue that the fraction that doesn't solubilize may be misfolded, just cut my
losses and grow tons more bacterial cultures.

Many thanks for sharing your successes and heartaches on this matter!
Raji

--
Raji Edayathumangalam
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School