Dear Pietro,
The n in Bragg's Law is indeed most interesting for teachers and a most
delicate matter for those enquiring about it.

The diffraction grating equation, from which W L Bragg got the idea, a 'cheap
accolade' he said to have it named after him in his Scientific American
article, has each order at its own specific theta. n=1 at one angle, n=2 the
next order of diffraction at higher angle, n=3 the next order at higher angle
still and so on. This is how physicists usually first meet the effect and use
monochromatic laser light and a periodically ruled, line, grating to see the
laser diffraction pattern in the modern physics teaching labs.

In crystal structure analysis the ruled line of the above is now the unit cell
of the crystal and the contents are of chemical and biological interest, unlike
the inside of a ruled line! Thus the switch to using lamba = 2d sin theta form
of the equation and the n subsumed into the interplanar spacing. d=1 is the
unit cell edge, d/2 half the unit cell and so on. Each has its own reflection
intensity. The highest resolution molecular detail we get of the insides of the
unit cell arising from the highest n diffraction reflection with a 'measurable'
 intensity.

The use of polychromatic light, or white X-rays, we need not consider just now.
Suffice to say at this point that, eg historically, the W H Bragg X-ray
spectrometer provided monochromatic X-rays to illuminate a single crystal and
so, as his son W L Bragg put it, immediately enabled a clear and more powerful
analysis of crystal structure and thereby allowed the first detailed atomic
X-ray crystal structure, sodium chloride, to be resolved. Several other Xray
crystal structures immediately followed from the Braggs, using the Xray
spectrometer, before 1914 ie when the Great War pretty much put all basic
research and development 'on hold'.

When one does come to the question of 'Laue diffraction' the so called
multiplicity distribution of Bragg reflections in Laue pattern spots has been
treated in detail by Cruickshank et al 1987 Acta Cryst A, as pointed out by
Tim.  Prime numbers are pivotal to the analysis, as James pointed out.

Best wishes,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol.
Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html