On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 22:28 +0200, James Holton wrote:

>  ... but Bragg's genius was in simplifying all this to a little
> rule which tells you how much to turn the crystal to see a given spot.
> We sort of take this for granted now that we have automated
> diffractometers that do all the math for us, but in 1914 realizing that
> the rules or ordinary optics could be applied to x-rays and crystals was
> a pretty important step forward.

The history of all this can be read in chapter 5 of "Fifty Years of
X-Ray Diffraction", edited by Ewald, that can be found here:
<http://www.iucr.org/publ/50yearsofxraydiffraction>

As noted on page 58, recognising that the principles of optics could be
applied to X-rays and crystals meant that W.H. Bragg had to abandon his
cherished view of X-rays as having a purely particle-like nature. An
object lesson in open-mindedness, I think.

Regards,
Peter.

--
Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889