Jan,

Ionic interaction does reduce the charges born by the partners in isolation.
This is why charged residues found in the protein core are always paired.
Furthermore, concerning arg, beyond the fact that they are found to autointeract as Andrey pointed out, the charge they bear is spread over all the guanidinium group so that it is not punctual as is the case for lys NZ.
H-bonds also solvate charges.

Are you stating that asp can in no way be entrapped between the arginines?
Recall arg-asp interactions in proteins are "hot spots".

Cheers,

Nadir

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
Structural & Molecular Biochemistry
N-gere - INSERM U-954
University of Lorraine, Nancy
School of Sciences and Technologies
& School of Medicine
9, Avenue de la Foret de Haye, BP 184
54505 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex
France
Phone: +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
Fax:   +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
E-mail: Nadir.Mrabet <at> univ-lorraine.fr