Hi,

Last spring I visited the Protein Crystallography Station at Los Alamos. On a
shelf, in a capillary in a serious exhibition-quality glass dome, was a crystal
of myoglobin some 50 mm**3, if I remember correctly. I was told it had been
made by Benno Schoenborn some decades earlier and had been exposed to most of
the neutron sources in the world (radiation damage - forget about it!) Paul
Langan or Zoë Fisher can correct me if I've exaggerated the size or age.

Anyway, as I already lost the record several times over for having seen the
biggest protein crystal ever, I can share with you the surprise and delight of
having to centre the crystals using a telescope mounted on a tripod on the
other side of the room. Apparently the magnification on the microscope on the
diffractometer (visible in this photo, and maybe the giant crystal too?
http://www.lanl.gov/_assets/php/flickrImage.php?photo_id=5033219363&secret=291f519124)
 was too high, so any "neutron-size" crystals would filled the whole field of
view even if they were not well-centered.

FWIW, my crystals (somewhat optimistically 0.4 mm**3) didn't diffract neutrons
even after a 24h exposure :-)

Derek
Derek Logan                                         tel: +46 46 222 1443
Associate Professor                                 mob: +46 76 8585 707
Dept. of Biochemistry and Structural Biology              www.cmps.lu.se
Centre for Molecular Protein Science           www.maxlab.lu.se/node/307
Lund University, Box 124, 221 00 Lund, Sweden