Hi Graeme,

There was a CCP4BB thread about this quite recently (14th Nov 2013). I've coped
below responses from Edward Berry and Matthew Franklin.

SCALA & AIMLESS have no sigma cutoffs, but TRUNCATE does. According to the
documentation, reflections with intensities  less than minus 4 standard
deviations are rejected. However, in the code this seems to be less than minus
3.7 standard deviations (rather than 4). So for data that has been processed by
TRUNCATE, I think that the observed criterion sigma(I) is -3.7. This is
hard-wired in the code.

It is interesting (perhaps) that this number only seems to be requested for PDB
depositions processed by RCSB, PDBe do not seem to ask for this (at least, not
the last time I deposited).

Andrew

Edward Berry:
As I understand it this refers to the decision whether an observation is valid
or not, and the default value in HKL suite is -3 sigma (note the negative
sign). The
denzo/scalepack manual explains that while it is important not to exclude
observations
that are slightly negative due to random errors of measurement, anything that
comes
in below -3 sigma is likely to be a fluke and should be discarded.
I'm not sure whether this refers to measurements before adding partials, or to
the
summed full reflection observation.  anyway, I always put -3s for that value
and haven't had any negative feedback from the annotators.

Matthew Franklin:

HKL2000 (Denzo/Scalepack) use I greater than -3 sigma (that's NEGATIVE 3) as
the observed criterion, so that's what you would put down for this entry.
There is another place where you're asked to provide an observed criterion for
F's used during refinement.  I always put down 0 (i.e. use all F's) for this
one.

I have no idea what Scala does.