Maybe there is something required for interaction that was in the buffer used
for the other binding studies, but not in your SEC buffer?

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of David
Briggs
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:52 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Isolation of protein-protein complexes.

Dear all,

sorry for the slightly off topic post,

I have 2 proteins that have been shown to interact, by multiple groups, and by
multiple techniques - namely ELISA, SPR and DPI.

The Kd of the interaction as determined by SPR is on the order of 1 nM.

I would very much like to crystallise this protein-protein complex, and as a
first step I attempted to purify the complex by mixing the two proteins (same
protein preps and same buffers as the SPR experiment) and then running them
down a gel filtration column (Superose 6 - predicted size of the complex is
~500kDa).

Somewhat irritatingly the two proteins separate beautifully on the column into
two distinct peaks. There is no trace of complex formation when the peaks are
analysed by SDS-PAGE.

As far as I am aware, two proteins that interact this strongly should remain
associated during gel filtration, and I was wondering if anyone else has
encountered anything similar in the past, and if they managed to resolve the
problem, how they went about it?

Cheers in advance,

Dave
David C. Briggs PhD