Dear all,

I don't know how closely this relates to what James pointed at, but
regarding the aspect of NCS information usage in the heavy-atom
finding/refinement stage, I would like to mention two programs of my
knowledgethat are able to detect NCS in a set of putative heavy atom
sites froma substructure solution trial: Professs (CCP4) and SitCom.
Probaby I missed others ...

These are useful in particular for cases like heavy atom-soaked structures,
where site occupancies are partial and hence peak heights a weak indicator
ofcorrectness, but the binding sites are not "random" i.e. still comply
to the NCS.

Both programs are based on the identification of matching triangles
among HA sites. (meaning that the approach is less suited for cases
with less than 3 sites per monomer). SitCom extracts HA site matches,
no matter whether (closed) rotational NCS or purely translational NCS
is present; and it can try to determine an unknown NCS order or apply an
expected one.

No matter which program used, the main benefit in my opinion is telling
correct sites (NCS-conform) from wrong ones, so that ideally the filtering
results in an improved substructure and HA phase set.

Kind regards,
Fabio