hello Andy,

i have different questions about your problem :

Is the hetero-dimer co-expressed ? Or the two partners are express separately ?
Have you controlled "where" are you proteins after the lysis, because if you
have many of your proteins in the pellet, it's not a good sign for the folding
state.
If this is the case, you have different solution : change the growing
conditions, change the buffer for the lysis step...
If you have a low amount of protein in the first step of your purification
process, you have to control at each step which one is the more limiting.
Because, it's maybe not really necessary to do two affinity column. You can try
different condition for the purification and increase the separation. This may
allow you to skip one step and go directly to the size exclusion column.
Sometimes the problems with the desalting column is the high speed of the
variation. This high speed is potential source of osmotic stress for the
protein.
Need you really to reduce the amount of salt ?
If it's absolutely required, you can try to do by dialysis, but by multiple
steps.
Another question, as soon as you can, control the good state of your protein (
for example with Circular dichroisme or DLS).

Hope to help you.

Nicolas