Do you really need to remove the NaCl? Some ionic strength is often necessary to stabilize proteins. Our routine purification buffers all contain at least 100 mM NaCl. This will not usually interfere with crystallization screening.

To minimize the probability of aggregation, you need to (1) ensure that the buffer pH is not close to the pI--pH 8.00 is a safe choice for many proteins, (2) probably maintain 100-150 mM ionic strength, and (3) consider solubility-increasing additives, like glycerol. However, solubility additives are going to seriously interfere with crystallization, but sometimes you have no choice.

Bear in mind that centrifugal concentrators may bind protein. This may become noticeable when using small absolute amounts of protein. Usually PES (polyethylenesulfone) concentrator membranes have the least protein adsorption.

Good luck!

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor