Hi Tim,

> I would actually recommend using pointless (or xprep) instead of
> xdsconv. It is much easier to use and maybe even less error prone.

I take the point about pointless but XPREP is commercial software sold by
Bruker and costs €700 (as I remember), so is not really an option for everyone.

> All your quotes from the output are perfectly consistent. The first
> table tells you there are 190093 unmerged reflections in total, but
> only 44059 unique reflections. Hence if you ask xdsconv to merge the
> output (MERGE=TRUE), it will do so and only write 44047 (a few less
> than 44059 because it rejects those 19 unmerged reflections with
> I<-3sigma).

I beg to disagree, and this was the point of my question. The output of XDSCONV
literally says that 190093 reflections are read, and [of those, my
interpretation] 44047 are accepted. I may be a pedant but I can't read that
output in any other way. To me it looks like it is reading only the reflections
that already fall into the asymmetric unit and is ignoring all the others. So
if XDSCONV is really doing what it is supposed to, I would suggest rephrasing
that output line.

> The documentation tells you:
> "MERGE=TRUE means that the weighted mean of symmetry equivalent
> reflection intensities appearing in the input file will be determined
> and used in the output file."

Yes, I paraphrased this in my original mail. I like to believe that the manual
describes what the program is doing, but the output isn't consistent with this
in my view.

> xscale does not scale data in a crystallographic sense since scaling
> is already done in the CORRECT step of XDS. It put the data on a
> common scale (in a sophisticated manner), i.e. if you only have one
> data set there is no need to run xscale except for the thinner shells
> for the statistics table compared to CORRECT.

No need indeed, except that including XSCALE doesn't leave me sleepless about
the data having been merged. And maybe correction for radiation damage when you
have sufficient multiplicity?

But yes, pedantry aside, I will start using pointless in my csh pipelines.

Best wishes
Derek