That's an extremely useful link - thanks to Will Stanley for posting that one.

For a VP-ITC machine I'd guess that you need to load the injector with about 500ul of protein at a concentration of 80x the Kd or more.

Notice that Alan Cooper was injecting 10 microliters of protein at 2mM with a 12 microMolar dissociation constant, per injection. You would probably want to maintain that approximate ratio - ~170 because it's mostly a question of measuring deltaH with a decent signal-to-noise per injection.

I recall that it takes up to 500 microLiters to load the injection syringe on a VP-ITC without air gap between plunger tip and injection point - unless someone's got a nice trick to reduce that.

The rule of thumb from the VP-ITC manual - and from practical experience on our machine here - for A+B <=> AB is using at least 10x the Kd in the sample chamber and about 80x the Kd in the injector. That's not exactly the same situation, but 80x vs 170x suggests the the considerations are much the same.

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton