On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:33:30 +0200, Bernhard Rupp <hofkristall...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>[There is] a distinction between indicators of the precision of merged data,
>>and those for the precision of unmerged data.
>
>Let's take a step back - definitions matter:
>
>(i) We have multiple observations of the same, already integrated h: the
>'unmerged' data <- most important data set which SHOULD BE deposited and
>rarely is.

yes, fully agree.

>(ii) Now we weighted average those multiple instances of the same h, sans
>symmetry: 'merged' data <- still useful to keep, particularly if one gets the
>metric symmetry/PG wrong
>(iii) Now we merge symmetry related data (generally keeping Friedels apart):
>'unique' data
>(iv) both (ii) and (iii) are instances of 'merged' data.

I don't quite understand the difference between (ii) and (iii). As soon as you
take the weighted average, you merge the data, because you create one single
estimate of the intensity I (and sigma(I)) of a unique reflection from several
symmetry-related observations of that unique reflection. So, to me, 'taking the
weighted average' and 'merging' are different words for the same procedure.

best,

Kay