Hi Ed,

your example seems to be designed to show that the average of reciprocal values
is not the same as the reciprocal of an average value? If that is what you are
alluding to, then please not that the (relatively narrow) Wilson distribution
of intensities has the effect of making the relation <I/σ(I)> ~ 1/<σ(I)/I> work
fairly well in practice.

The relation Rmeas ≈ 0.8/<I/σ(I)> (where I refers to the intensity of unmerged,
individual observations) is obviously not an exact one ... rather it depends on
how the σ(I) are calculated (the "error model") and some other things. But it
should _not_ depend on the multiplicity, and it should hold fairly well at high
resolution.

Kay