On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Cygler, Miroslaw
<miroslaw.cyg...@usask.ca>wrote:

> I have inquired at Schrodinger about the licensing for PyMol. I was
> surprised by their answer. The access to PyMol is only through a yearly
> licence. They do not offer the option of purchasing the software and using
> the obtained version without time limitation. This policy is very different
> from many other software packages, which one can use without continuing
> licensing fees and additional fees are only when an upgrade is needed. At
> least I believe that Office, EndNote, Photoshop and others are distributed
> this way.
> I also remember very vividly the Warren’s reason for developing PyMol, and
> that was the free access to the source code. He later implemented fees for
> downloading binary code specific for one’s operating system but there were
> no time restrictions on its use.
> As far as I recollect, Schrodinger took over PyMol distribution and
> development promising to continue in the same spirit.  Please correct me
> if I am wrong.
> I find the constant yearly licensing policy disturbing and will be looking
> for alternatives. I would like to hear if you have had the same experience
> and what you think about the Schrodinger policy.

This is no different than the licenses that for-profit companies are
required to purchase for most crystallography software.  In fact, it's
actually considerably more liberal than most software*, because as Jim
notes you can still obtain (and redistribute) most of the source code for
free.  From what I can tell Schrodinger has continued to make improvements
to the open-source core; some of the newer features (and the native Mac
GUI) are proprietary, but that was true ten years ago.

-Nat

(* although I believe ccp4mg is truly open-source like Coot, and unlike
CCP4 etc. which still require a license for commercial use.  Or am I
misinformed?)