Fabrice Gorrec, at Cambridge, made the MORPHEUS screen and I really, really
like it http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3246824/
It's easy to mix yourself and if you make extra of the stocks it is also
very easy to mix a follow-up grid screen. The conditions are cryoprotected
from the outset (which I very much agree with - if your initial hits from
other screens freeze with ice rings then you should attempt to optimize
towards cryoconditions rather than cryoprotect crystals after they have
grown, in my opinion).
I disagree with the choice to include calcium + magnesium since I think you
should have screened your protein to find out if it binds any metal ions
before you start crystallization screening (since it will also influence
your optimal purification protocol). If you have stabilizing salts or other
factors you can try setting up the same screen multiple times but with
different protein buffer.
pH is restricted to 6.5, 7.5, and 8.5 but that's where the majority of hits
occur anyway. And the grid optimization goes both higher and lower than
those max / min values.

I've had great success with Morpheus.

Morten

--