Dear Mohamed,

At the moment, a lot of programs require amplitudes, but I believe that they
should all eventually be updated to use intensities.  In fact, we’re in the end
stages of a large project to switch Phaser from using amplitudes to using
intensities.  There are a number of reasons why, in principle, it’s better to
work in terms of intensities.  One is that it’s perfectly reasonable to have a
negative observed intensity, which can come from subtracting a background
estimate with measurement errors from a very weak peak with its own measurement
errors.  That, of course, is where the French and Wilson algorithm comes in,
allowing an amplitude to be estimated without simply taking a square root.
However, the problem with the French and Wilson algorithm is that it loses
information, i.e. you can’t reconstruct the intensity and its standard
deviation.  What you get out of French & Wilson depends on the estimate of the
expected intensity for a reflection, which is typically taken from the mean in
the resolution shell but should vary with direction for crystals suffering from
anisotropic diffraction and should be modulated for crystals with translational
non-crystallographic symmetry.

Another reason it’s better to work in terms of intensities is that it’s
reasonable to assume that the measurement errors for intensities are Gaussian,
but then less reasonable to assume that for amplitudes (particularly with the
problem that amplitudes can’t be negative).

For now, you need amplitudes for a lot of purposes and then the French & Wilson
algorithm is useful.  But what I would strongly recommend is that you hang on
to the intensities and you make sure that the intensities are deposited at the
PDB.  It’s a pity that many PDB depositions only have amplitudes that have been
through French & Wilson, so that new procedures based on intensities won’t be
able to be applied with their full power.

Best wishes,

Randy Read

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail:
rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk