Dear George,

Yes, we’ve developed new likelihood functions that work with intensity data.
They’re already available for the molecular replacement calculations in recent
nightly-build versions of Phaser (though it’s been a while since a new nightly
was released, and we’ve fixed a few problems with outliers that were more
extreme than we had anticipated encountering).  I’ll be presenting our work on
the intensity-based SAD likelihood target at the upcoming CCP4 Study Weekend.

It’s possible to define exact intensity-based likelihood functions (at least
“exact” when the measurement errors are Gaussian in the observed intensity),
but we haven’t found a way of evaluating them without either numerical
integration (expensive) or approximation.  However, we’ve got a new
approximation that turns out to be excellent over the whole range from small to
extremely large intensity errors, and which is very efficient to work with.

Best wishes,

Randy

------