Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for the useful comments.

Indeed, we are of course looking at it biochemically, which isn't a clear cut
so far..
As you pointed out it could be a monomer in solution, but the interface between
monomers within this asymmetric trimer seems too extensive (compared to those
responsible for the lattice packing) not to suspect a trimer as a solution
assembly. PISA suggested this asymmetric trimer as the most likely assembly but
it falls into the grey region of their criteria (see attached pic.)

Since it's rare, we are interested to know of other similar reports, if any, to
learn how they were resolved/concluded. I believe the case you describe is not
similar, as we have NO rotational symmetry (2, 3, or 4-fold) whatsoever between
interacting monomers in the ASU or relating those built up by the
crystallographic symmetry. Therefore I can't see how the space group
information may help, but it is p212121 in case it helps boosting your morning
coffee experience with symmetry pondering ... :).

Cheers,
Hay