Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice.  I had, in fact, already ordered some
commercial couplers, but they haven't come in yet, and there was an
experiment I wanted to do today.

Here's what I found:

1.  The steel ferrules have an orientation, with a "tight" side and a
loose side.  They can be removed by sliding in one direction, but not
the other.  Even then, it's pretty difficult.  I had to use pliers,
and pieces of needle broke off during the process.  The tight side of
the ferrule then needed to be reamed open slightly with a steel tool
before I was able to slide the ferrule onto the other needle.

2.  Soldering stainless steel is really a pain.

In the end I got a coupler that seems to work well, but it was a pain,
and it's a bit charred looking.

Thanks again,
Tom