>at the beginning of my experience of S-SAD about 10 years ago, it was not too
>difficult to do S-SAD phasing with inhouse data provided the resolution was
>better than 2.0A, while it did not always work with synchrotron data. Purely
>personal experience.

I assume that the synchrotron data were collected at similarly-low energy?

>However, the inhouse machines I am familiar with have three circles, so that
>you get much better real redundancy with equivalent reflections recorded at
>different settings. This reduces systematic errors, I think.
The most sophisticated synchrotron beamline I have been to offered a mini-kappa
with 30degree range - that's not much compared to 10-20 different settings with
varying phi- omega- and distance settings.

Yes, I haven't seen much about people collecting multiple orientations of the
same crystal, since I think people generally roast their crystals really fast
to see higher-resolution spots. I am thinking recently that the best option
might really be home sources with pixel-array detectors...

>The top-hat comes from a quote I received from Bruker, and I have no reason to
>believe the person acted purely with a salesperson's intent.

Pretty interesting--wonder what's the best way to confirm this for our home
source...?

JPK

Best,
Tim