Hi Clemens,

your suggested description of positive rotation doesn't remove the ambiguity.

My intuitive way to define positive rotation (in 1994 or so, when building the SBC) was: Looking onto the sample, rotation of the sample in mathematically positive direction

Only later I was told that in HKL (and I believe also d*trek) the definition was mathematically positive direction for an observer standing behind the rotary table looking through the base to the sample. Not the way a user approaches the goniostat's rotary table.

But no big deal. It's a -1 in one of the axes definitions. There are, as you stated, many more axes definitions and they depend on the geometry of the end station. E.g., at the SBC, the orientation of otherwise identical goniostats is mirror-image between the ID and the BM for reasons of layout of the two beamlines relative to each other. The idea that the axes definitions should be uniform is not practical.

Regards,

Gerd