Hi Jorge

I have several opensuse (11.1, 11.4, 13.1) machines running all of them coot and pymol with out any problem. By sure, your problem come from the graphic driver. If you want to obtain the best from your graphic card you will need to install the vendor graphic card drivers in order to enable OpenGL.

Also later you can try the autobuild coot script :

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/Personal/pemsley/coot/web/build-install-coot-from-scratch.html

I'm using in all my linux siytem the latest build ( coot-0.8.2-pre-revision-5694 <http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pemsley/coot/source/pre-releases//coot-0.8.2-pre-revision-5694.tar.gz>)

and it run fast in all the machines

If you need something else ...