Hello Everybody!
I was trying to make some sense from  Bernhard Rupp's book page 251.

I will copy the relevant part...

When photons travel through a crystal, either of two things can happen: (i)
nothing, which happens over 99% of the time; (ii) the electric field vector
induces oscillations in all the electrons coherently within* the photon's
coherence length* ranging from a few 1000 Angstroms for X-ray emission
lines to several microns for modern synchrotron sources. At this point, the
photon ceases to exist, and we can imagine that the electrons themselves
emanate *virtual waves*, which constructively overlap in certain
directions, and interfere destructively in others. The scattered photon
then *appears again in some direction*, with the probability of that
appearance proportional to the amplitude of the combined, resultant
scattered wave in that particular direction.......The sum of all scattering
events of independent, single photons then generates the diffraction
pattern.

I underlined the problematic parts...

can anyone shed some light on this ..or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance