Nick

What you describe is (almost) exactly the way we have always done it at
Astex & I'm surprised to hear that others are not routinely doing the
same.  The difference is that we don't generate a free R flag MTZ file to
ultra-high resolution as you suggest, since there's never any need to.
What we do is generate by default a 1.5 Ang. free R flag file using UNIQUE,
FREERFLAG and MTZUTILS whenever a new apo structure for a given
target/crystal form is solved and keep that with the intial apo data as a
reference dataset for auto-re-indexing (so that all the protein-ligand
datasets are indexed the same way).  When a dataset is combined with the
higher resolution free R flag file we would of course cut the resolution to
that of the data (still keeping the original free R flag file), mainly in
order to save space in the database.

Obviously if the initial apo data were higher resolution than 1.5 Ang, the
processing script would generate an initial free R flag file also
correspondlingly higher (say to 1 Ang.).  If a ligand dataset comes along
later at higher resolution than 1.5 Ang. the script would do the same
thing, but then it would use the MTZUTILS UNIQ option to merge the old free
R flags up to 1.5 Ang. with the new ones between 1.5 and 1 Ang.  Then it
would combine the data file with the free R flag file as before and cut the
resolution of the combined data file to the actual resolution of the data.
The script would then replace the old free R flag file with the new one and
use the latter for all subsequent datasets from that target/crystal form.
The users are completely unaware that any of this is happening (unless they
want to dig into the scripts!).

We enforce use of 'approved' scripts for all the processing and refinement
essentially by using an Oracle database with web-based access
authentication which means that if you don't use the approved scripts to
process your data then you can't upload your data to the database, which
then means that no-one else will get to see and/or use your results!  Our
scripts make full use of CCP4 and Global Phasing programs (autoPROC,
autoBUSTER, GRADE etc): however using CCP4i or other programs from the
command line to process the data and only uploading the final results to
the database is severely deprecated (and totally unsupported!), mainly
because there will then be no permanent traceback in the database of the
user's actions for others to see.

On Gerard's final point of the effect on non-isomorphism, we find that
isomorphism is the exception rather than the rule, i.e. the majority of our
datasets would fail the Crick-Magdoff test for isomorphism (i.e. no more
than 0.5% change for all cell lengths for 3 Ang. data and a correspondingly
lower threshold at more typical resolution limits of 2 - 1.5 Ang.).  This
is obviously very target and crystal form-dependent, some targets/crystal
forms give more isomorphous crystals than others.  So I suspect that most
of our efforts in maintaining common free R flags are for nothing; however
it saves arguments with referees when it comes to publication!

Cheers

-- Ian