I don't think the .sfrm ending means that the data can or can not be read by
non-Bruker software.

The crucial difference is between "warped" and "unwarped" data, if I understand
correctly. XDS (and I think MOSFLM) can only process "unwarped" data. As Harry
says, there is an "unwarping" utility from Bruker.

HKL2000 can read warped data from some detector types but I guess not those
from Bruker.

Kay